Sunday 18 January 2015

A thought for the day

It has always struck me that there are certain people who have a way of getting to the heart of big questions. Nelson Mandela, for me, was one of those people. His life was a testimony to the many things that 1 Corinthians 13 talks about and if you have ever come across some of the quotes from his speeches and writings you can see even further evidence of this.

' Long walk to freedom,' as a film and a book, made a significant impression on me and Nelson Mandela has been a regular feature in my assemblies over the years. His commitment to diversity and unity at such personal cost is something that should always be an inspiration and something that must never be forgotten. For this reason he will continue to be a part of our school's on going reflection on how those in the past can inspire us to make a difference today.

 If you are short of a ‘thought for the day’ his quotes are certainly worth a few moments reflection.

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”


“The greatest glory in living
lies not in never falling,
but in rising every time we fall.”


“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”