Wednesday 10 June 2015

Stories of courage

This week in assemblies we have been thinking about the theme of COURAGE.

On Tuesday we considered the story of  Ruth, who showed great courage in giving up all she had to return home with her elderly mother in law Naomi. This is a story of commitment and self sacrifice and the words the Ruth spoke show the depth of her resolve and determination. For Ruth this was a journey of discovery herself as she gave up her home to return to a strange land. The story is one of courage on her part, but also God's faithfulness in the way he looks after both Ruth and Naomi.

Today in assembly we considered the story of Daniel and the courage that he showed in remaining faithful to God despite persecution and the threat of death. The story of the lion's den is probably one of the most famous in the Old Testament and again it speaks of courage and faithfulness.

Our verse this half term is from Joshua 1:9 and it speaks to us of the need to be strong and courageous in doing what is right.

Martin Luther King said that 'the time is always right to do what is right' and his belief in this changed a nation. But that all started with one small act of courage, that shown by a lady called Rosa Parks.

"I learned to put my trust in God and to see Him as my strength. Long ago I set my mind to be a free person and not to give in to fear. I always felt that it was my right to defend myself if I could. I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear."  Rosa Parks