Friday 6 May 2016

A celebration of success - in any form

Today the children have been reflecting on celebrating success in any shape or form. This has led to them coming to school in non uniform that reflects the success that they have chosen to celebrate. Success is certainly a powerful motivator and a wonderful feeling, so it seemed right this week to take some time as a school to reflect on the people that inspire us, but also our own success. 

Our assembly this afternoon will start with a celebratory conga around the school field and then we will be taking time to reflect on success and what it means to us. In preparation for the assembly, I have reflected myself on who it is that inspires me and I will be sharing some of my thoughts with the children this afternoon. 


My immediate response to this moment of reflection actually moved away from sporting achievements to the broader view of success in terms of the contribution that individuals have made to supporting and making a difference in the lives of others. This is equally success that needs to be celebrated. People who immediately came to mind where Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a man of great faith and social conscience, William and Catherine Booth the founders of the Salvation Army, Sir Nicholas Winton the man who saved some 700 Jewish children from Nazi controlled Europe and so my list would go on.

But then the sight of Leicester City players adorning every lamppost as I drive up London road to work, brought my mind back to sporting achievements and who would be on my inspirational list and at that point my mind was full of names and achievements. But the one area of sport that kept coming to mind is so wonderfully celebrated in what will be the Invictus Games and the Paralympics this year. The inspiration, emotions and intense sense of achievement that just watching these amazing athletes bring to their sport is incredible. If nothing else should inspire us it is the determination to overcome adversity and to never give up. That is something most certainly worth celebrating.