Monday 7 March 2016

A time to juggle!


 
 
In the first week back at school, our theme was perseverance and Mr P set me a challenge to learn a new skill, so I chose juggling! The challenge was to be able to learn the three ball cascade and juggle for a minute in whole school assembly by the end of half term.
 
So I set about learning the new skill, which has in fact been great fun. Each Friday I have had to demonstrate the progress towards the challenge – juggling in front of 450 children I discovered is far more stressful than in the privacy of your office or at home!
 
The challenge was achieved and I have learnt a new skill, and also reminded myself about the importance of perseverance, learning from your mistakes, celebrating success and simply enjoying learning something new. All of these have been key aspects of our assembly themes over the weeks as well.  In addition we have been considering the importance of encouragement, and I have been overwhelmed by the constant encouragement and enthusiasm for juggling that this challenge has produced in the children. Wherever I have been, there has been a continual stream of questions and encouragement, it’s been a great thing to do.

 But the challenge is not over! Having completed the time challenge , I have moved on to other tricks – once you get the bug it is hard to stop! – and in light of this Mr P has given me a new challenge; to pass on my new found skill to other people.
 
This has already prompted a number of enthusiastic children appearing in my office to demonstrate their own commitment to learning the skill. To be honest most of them have made more progress in two days than I did in the first week! But my plan is to see how far we can spread this skill and enthusiasm. Therefore each of the key stage two class teachers are talking to their class this week to see who might be up for the challenge. It will take perseverance and commitment, but it is certainly worth it. From these willing volunteers I will be organising some small groups over the rest of the term, to take on the challenge of learning the skill and I will most certainly be encouraging them to teach and learn from each other! I think I have a vision of a mass juggling display in assembly one day!